Assalam-u-alaikum/Greeting You with Peace Peel Community,
What’s been happening with MCP…
The Board and E.D.
With a very eventful year to date, we have much to share with the community and our membership in this bulletin. As you know, Islamophobia has been on the rise, especially right here in Peel. We have been working hard mobilizing our efforts with active members in the community and reaching-out to work in solidarity with like-minded individuals and groups. We have been responding on demand to emerging matters with public statements and positions. Check-out www.mcpeel.ca to view statements of support we received from interfaith leaders after our statements in response to the threats against one of our newest board members, Imam Ibrahim Hindy. We have hosted and cohosted some key events in these last couple of months to promote issues that matter for the greater good. We are very proud of our community members in the resolve they have demonstrated when faced with hateful opposition to M103 and the Friday prayer religious accommodation matter with the Peel District School Board.
- Plans are underway for an Eid dinner to be held on Thursday June 29. We are inviting all elected officials, interfaith leaders and media to celebrate Eid and recognize Canada 150. Please save the date and stay tuned for further details.
- The website is being populated slowly. We welcome your input and ideas.
- A 2-part workshop is being organized on hate crimes. Watch for the notice with registration details in the next few days.
- We are introducing a Monthly Fajr Unity Breakfast starting in July. Details to follow in the near future.
- MCP has retained administrative support from Samira Sherif on a casual basis and we welcome her on board.
Meet our board of directors for 2017.
- Dr. Mohammed Iqbal Alnadvi, President (Alnadwa Institute)
- Kamal Syed, Vice-President (Jame Masjid Mississauga)
- Muntaz Ali, Treasurer (Brampton Islamic Centre)
- Sandra Noe, Secretary (Federation of Muslim Women)
- Hafiz Faizan, Board Member (West-End Islamic Centre)
- Shireen Ahmed, Board Member (SeekersHub)
- Imam Ibrahim Hindy, Board Member (Dar El-Tawheed Islamic Centre)
- Rabia Khedr, Executive Director
We are pleased to launch an Event Safety and Security Tip Sheet to assist members and others prepare for disruptions or protests at events they host. Event Security and Safety Tip-Sheet
Membership in MCP is growing steadily. We want you on board if you are not a member yet. We encourage charities and non-profit organizations operating in Peel Region with a mandate of serving the Muslim community to review our membership requirements and apply.
- Some members have completed their organizational profiles. We ask member organizations who have not done so to get their profiles in as soon as possible. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want it sent to you again.
- Member organizations will receive their log-ins in the coming weeks. Watch for an email from MCP.
- MCP called for an emergency community meeting with police, politicians, imams, youth leaders and representatives of MCP member organizations immediately after the shooting at the Islamic centre in Quebec City. Over 70 people gathered in the upstairs meeting room at the Sayeda Khadija Centre at 8pm on Monday, January 30. Peel Regional Police Jennifer Evans and senior officers, MPP Amrit Manghat, Minister Charles Sousa and staff representatives from several MP and MPP offices were in attendance. Shehzad Haq was present on behalf of Mayor Crombie. We opened the meeting explaining the need to understand policing protocols, identifying safety and security concerns and sharing our feelings arising from such an unimaginable attack on the Muslim community.
- Rabia participated in 6 media appearances through different media outlets including Rogers Community Channel, The Sikh TV, CTV and CBC. In fact, she provided live in studio commentary during the formal public funeral in Montreal for 3 of the 6 victims.
- We have been actively participating with the Interfaith Council of Peel Steering Committee and co-sponsored the World Interfaith Harmony Week Breakfast on February 6 at Solel Synagogue attended by several interfaith leaders as well as Mayor Bonnie Crombie and Chief Jennifer Evans. Our own media personality, Urz Heer, was the MC and Imam Nafis Bayat from Jame Masjid Mississauga offered a reflection and supplication on behalf of the Muslim community.
- On February 11, MCP’s AGM took place at Jame Masjid Mississauga. Farina Sidiqui advised MCP that she would not be continuing on the board due to other commitments. Hafiz Faizan, Imam Ibrahim Hindy, Shireen Ahmed and Sandra Noe were elected to the board as new members. Kamal Syed, who was originally appointed to the board when Waseem Ahmed stepped down, was also formally elected.
- On March 2, we cohosted an appreciation meet and greet with Imran Mian to recognize special guests, MPP Nathalie Des Rosiers, MP Frank Baylis and MP Iqra Khalid. MPP Nathalie Des Rosiers authored motion 37 in Ontario, MP Frank Baylis sponsored the 411 petition in the House of Commons and MP Iqra Khalid brought forward motion 103 in the House of Commons. Over 100 community leaders, activists and Imams attended. Thank you Jame Masjid Mississauga for the wonderful venue and refreshments.
- Rabia MC’d the Interfaith Council of Peel Network Meeting on April 6 at the Fo Wang Shan (Buddhist) Temple in Mississauga. The theme was Canadian Values and Religious Accommodation. Mayor Linda Jeffrey from Brampton, Chief Commissioner Renu Mandhane from the Ontario Human Rights Commission and a panel moderated by Rabbi Audrey Palock set the tone for an important discussion amongst attendees.
- We hosted a Human Rights in Ontario workshop on April 8 with about 30 people in attendance. Some were members. Others were youth leaders, professionals and representatives from non-member organizations. Dr Shaheen Azmi, Director of Policy provided a wealth of knowledge and information about human rights and religious accommodation. Everyone agreed that further workshops were needed. Thank you Alhuda Elementary School for your fantastic facility and hospitality.
- MCP attended the Canadian Council of Imams dinner on April 26 as a supporter.
- Rabia continues to attend the Peel Regional Police Muslim Advisory Committee Meeting with several other community representatives who also happen to be MCP member reps and Peel Regional Police Chaplain Shaykh Imran Ally. She also continues to attend the United Way of Peel and Region of Peel Syrian Settlement Planning Group meetings.
Important Dates & Announcements
- Join us at DawaNet’s 4th Annual Ramadan Revival Conference and Iftar on June 4. For tickets, click here.
- The Peel Regional Police Race Against Racism event is taking place on Saturday June 10 at Mississauga Valley Park. The date could not be changed this year to accommodate Ramadan. Register if you are still up to racing while fasting or just come out and show your support. Click here For more information.
- Alhuda Institute has a graduation ceremony to be held on July 23 bringing together over 1000 women. For more information, visit
- We invite member organizations to provide us events and announcements to be included in this bulletin.
We can’t believe Ramadan is just around the corner. Ramadan Karim/Ramadan Mubarak to all. Please remember us in your du’as. Don’t forget to like our Facebook Page and follow us on Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/MCP-Muslim-Council-of-Peel-1635100146742492/?fref=ts